Congratulations Sir Assam Emmanuel


 You have made history.Congratulations.

THE DUSTY ROAD OF  EDUCATION: OUR JOURNEY SO FAR. 

 

This true life story about myself and my wife may sound odd to youths of nowadays, especially those who were born with silver spoons in their mouth but I have to tell it as a plank of inspiration to those who look at formal education as a time-bound endeavour. NO TIME IS LATE FOR EDUCATION and it has no age limit. 

 

I did not have the opportunity of going into the University immediately after my secondary school in 1989 because of lack of money. My father was a fisherman and was naturally bereft of the stages and frontiers of formal education. He saw secondary school education as the be-all and the end stage of formal education, not knowing that there exist an Ivory Tower known as a University. 

 

Armed with my Senior School Certificate, I roamed the streets of some major cities in Nigeria looking for job. The search ended me engaging in menial jobs such as Bar attendant, Car Washing and other unskilled jobs just as means of being busy and keeping body and soul together. After three years of headless struggle for survival, I made up my mind to learn a trade. The decision saw me through a 3 year apprentice as a refrigeration technician in 1997. 

 

Putting my new acquired skill into use, I began moving from house to house looking for old fridges and air-conditioners to buy and refurbished for sale. I became so skilful in refurbishing and maintenance of appliances that I got a job with an oil servicing company, DBN, to maintain their electrical appliances. I worked with the company for nine months and save some substantial amount of money which gave me the capital to go to Lagos to buy fairly used items ranging from fridge, air-conditioners, gas cookers, electric iron and others household items, which I sold in Eket for marginal profits. The business strived and I completely forgot all about furthering my education, especially when I got married, built my first house and started raising children. 

 

But on this particular day, destiny brought the founder of Heritage Polytechnic, Engr (Dr) Emmanuel Ekott into my shop. He bought some items from me and asked me to get the money in his office at Heritage Polytechnic. Getting to the school campus, the environment electrified my subconsciousness and played an unseen video in my mind. I saw students that were as old as my late father, cuddling their books and rushing into lecture halls. The scenario gave me a new age and mindset that NO TIME IS LATE FOR EDUCATION and that I can still go back to school, after many years in the world of business. Having received payment for my goods from Dr Emmanuel Ekott, I went straight to the office of the registrar and made some enquires about admission. Cutting the long story short, my self and my wife got admission to do National Diploma, ND, in Mass Communication in 2011 after a one year remedial programme in 2010. Got our Higher National Diploma, HND, in 2013. With quest for more knowledge, we proceeded to the University of Uyo for PGD in 2015 and Master's Degree in Business Management (MBA) in 2018. Presently, I am gunning for my PhD programme as my wife took a bow at MBA level. It has been a very nice and exciting experience going to school with my wife. In all of these, God has been the source of our strength and ability. To Him alone we give all the glory. 

 

HAPPY CONVOCATION TO US, NO TIME IS LATE TO ACQUIRE EDUCATION.

Published by Oboloheritage for future global references. No time is too late for education or other achievements.

Post a Comment

0 Comments